Monday, July 9, 2012

What a long strange trip it's been

It's been 30 days since I started this recovery journey, and it's been a real growing experience. I've learned a lot about myself, but more importantly, I've learned a lot about better ways to cope with the challenges that life throws at me. I'm really grateful for having found a program of recovery that is empowering, and affirming of dealing with life in a rational, proactive manner.

I realize that there's a long way to go, and nothing is over. This is just one small mile-marker on the road of a different life than the one I left behind 30 days ago. I wrote this song a week ago, and it sort of fits how I feel today. (lyrics below the video)



The clock on the wall keeps counting
And the hours keep mounting
And I'm sitting here thinking
'is this all there is?'

Now my mind is wandering
And I keep on pondering
Am I misremembering
Just the way it was

CHORUS
were the lights really so bright?
Was I really that good at night?
Are my glasses so rosy
I forget the misery

When I wake on the morrow
And I play the tape forward
Will I be filled with sorrow
for the things I did again?

All these hours that I'm filling
the results aren't thrilling
or maybe it's just
I've forgotten how to live

So I keep these words beside me
To try and remind me
that sometimes things look
better from afar

REPEAT CHORUS

Will I be filled with sorrow
for the things I did again?

No comments:

Post a Comment